Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Missing Matchmaker

Title: The Missing Matchmaker
Author: Cindy Holbrook
Source: Santa Clara County Library
Rating: 1 star out of 5

When I first picked up this book from the library, I expected a typical Zebra Regency Romance, with a little bit of mystery thrown in. What I got was a jumble of plots and way too many side characters to understand the story - I couldn't even finish the book! I tried to force myself through it, and ended up giving up (having given up trying to understand the convoluted assassination/abduction/matchmaking plot(s) long before that) about fifty pages from the end.

Add to that the fact that the heroine is.. well, not too great (incredibly naive, and determined to be a "wild woman" by saying "jumping Jehosephat," "Sweet Mary's night rail" and devoting her life to reading anything except the religious sermons her late father restricted her to), and the hero can't make up his mind as to whether he likes the heroine or is still in love with the chit who played him last Season, and I will NOT be picking this one back up ever again. Thank goodness I only got it from the library, and didn't waste money buying it.

No comments: